If there’s one thing that writers love to talk about (besides themselves) it’s writing. I love seeing what other writers have to say about the craft. Sometimes they contradict each other, sometimes they form a theme. Every writer is unique, and that’s part of the beauty. I hope you enjoy these quotes.
1) Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. — Anton Chekhov
2) There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. — Ernest Hemingway
3) Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of. — Kurt Vonnegut
4) If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it. — Elmore Leonard
5) Writing is work. It’s also gambling. You don’t get a pension plan. Other people can help you a bit, but essentially you’re on your own. Nobody is making you do this: you chose it, so don’t whine. — Margaret Atwood
6) Don’t be boring. — Dave Barry
7) Be as bold with your vision as you can possibly be. — Alice Walker
8) I had learned already never to empty the well of my writing, but always to stop when there was still something there in the deep part of the well, and let it refill at night from the springs that fed it. — Ernest Hemingway
9) There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. — Maya Angelou
10) You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you — Ray Bradbury
11) Fiction that isn’t an author’s personal adventure into the frightening or the unknown isn’t worth writing for anything but money. — Jonathan Franzen
12) Best tip for writers: not to listen to any silly tips for writers. — Joyce Carol Oates
Like my website? Join my Facebook fan page for more awesomeness (and silly memes). If you like dark fantasy, check out my debut novel Song of Simon. It has no memes, but lots of music references and dick jokes. According to the reviews, Simon is pretty cool. There’s also my FREE webserial, The Watchmage of Old New York, which is at JukePopSerials. You can also find me on Twitter, where I tweet about whatever I feel like (but mostly geeky stuff).